Trends in Greenhouse Gas Emissions
Emissions from fuel combustion continued growing in 2003, at about the average annual growth rate since 1990. Anumber of factors played a major role in the magnitude of this increase. The U.S. economy experienced moderate growth from 2002, causing an increase in the demand for fuels. The price of natural gas escalated dramatically, causing some electric power producers to switch to coal, which remained at relatively stable prices. Colder winter conditions brought on more demand for heating fuels, primarily in the residential sector. Though a cooler summer partially offset demand for electricity as the use of air-conditioners decreased, electricity consumption continued to increase in 2003. The primary drivers behind this trend were the growing economy and the increase in U.S. housing stock. Use of nuclear and renewable fuels remained relatively stable. Nuclear capacity decreased slightly, and for the first time since 1997. Use of renewable fuels rose slightly due to increases in the use of hydroelectric power and biofuels.
Energy-related activities, primarily fossil fuel combustion, accounted for the vast majority of U.S. CO2 emissions for the period of 1990 through 2003. In 2003, approximately 86 percent of the energy consumed in the United States was produced through the combustion of fossil fuels. The remaining 14 percent came from other energy sources such as hydropower, biomass, nuclear, wind, and solar energy.
The United States relies on electricity to meet a significant portion of its energy demands, especially for lighting, electric motors, heating, and air conditioning. Electricity generators consumed 35 percent of U.S. energy from fossil fuels and emitted 41 percent of the CO2 from fossil fuel combustion in 2003. The type of fuel combusted by electricity generators has a significant effect on their emissions. For example, some electricity is generated with low CO2 emitting energy technologies, particularly non-fossil options such as nuclear, hydroelectric, or geothermal energy. However, electricity generators rely on coal for over half of their total energy requirements and accounted for 93 percent of all coal consumed for energy in the United States in 2003. Consequently, changes in electricity demand have a significant impact on coal consumption and associated CO2 emissions.
To read the full report from the EPA go to: http://yosemite.epa.gov/oar/globalwarming.nsf/content/ResourceCenterPublicationsGHGEmissionsUSEmissionsInventory2005.html